Sunday, May 1, 2011

I Admit It, I'm Slighlty Dramatic


I am not a good sick person. I whine. I tell the hubs that I am dying. I tell my friends that they can have my extensive shoe and purse collection if I die. Then I go home, lay down, usually feel better, and then take back the verbal contract/will of my shoes.

I do have to brag though for a second...even in all of my whining and complaining of dying, I usually take care of myself. I don't want people to feel like they have to take care of me. I don't want people pitying me. Most importantly, I don't like taking off work and having to come up with sub plans.

Now that being said, this time was different. This time I felt like I was hit by a bus carrying the Olympic sumo wrestling team. This time I let the hubs take care of me. I let him get up at 3am to get me some Nyquil and 3 Advil. This time I took off work and might even take another day.

It all started Thursday with a tickle. I knew "it" was there using my tonsils as a scratching post, but I just ignored "it." But somewhere between 7am and 1230pm something happened. The tickle turned into a full on incapabillity to swallow. I sat there looking at my class of students wondering how I was going to make it through another hour and a half. I took it minute by minute and luckily most of the bell was used for revising their essays. I went home, took some Advil, and a nap. When I woke up, I felt better. I even ate some soup. I was praising the healing powers of Advil. Then around 9, "it" came back for another round. Body aches. Chills followed by sweating. Throat so swollen I couldn't swallow my own spit. It was a long restless night, but I knew I had to go to work Friday.

Friday was worse than Thursday. I showered a really long shower and carried my pathetic butt to school. I was so mad at myself for not getting a sub. But honestly, I don't think I had ever felt like this. I was weak. I was run down. The sumo wrestlers were now off that metaphorical bus and kicking my ass. I got to school and talked to the Awsome Spruill and he got me a sub. I was free. Free to go home and sleep. And that is what I have been doing. Since Friday I have slept and watched TV...and oh yeah, I occasionally play someone in my words with friends. I didn't have the energy to do anything else. I, a self proclaimed addict of Facebook, could only muster up 5 minutes at a time to do anything and at times even Facebook was exhausting.

Meanwhile the hubs took care of the bug and everything else I am so used to doing. He painted our shutters, cleaned the kitchen, made the meals, and brought me beverages and medicine. He would even get up and turn the fan off when I was freezing and then back on when I was going through my "I'm so hot phase." He earned himself some gold start these past few days. Maybe I will let him change them in when I am better.

I know no one likes to be sick, but I also know many out there who get a slight symptom and put themselves on bed rest. I can't understand that. I would rather be doing anything than just laying around...but maybe that is why I got sick in the first place.

Today is the first day I actually have enough energy to peruse Facebook and type. I might even eat today. (That soup was the last thing I ate). Until then, I will go live the high life and gargle another glass of salt water.

All I have to say...I better have lost at least a pound or so. :)

And P.S. I do not reccomend using Google images when searching for a picture of tonsils. There are some (pardon my language) F'ed up tonsils out there!

1 comment: