Thursday, January 6, 2011

Dinner for 1 1/2.


I like to think that I am an okay mom. There aren't awards given for best mom and such, but if there was one, I'd like to believe I would at least get an Emmy...not the Primetime Emmy, not even the Daytime Emmy, but you know, the local Emmy. I am the best mom in my locality after all; the locality being 201 Rountree Drive of course.
I still have a lot to work on. I am a working mom so that right there makes me half of a mom and I didn't breast feed which I assume that makes me like one quarter of a good mom(please say you are picking up on the sarcasm). On a more real note, I want to be the mom that does crafts on the weekends, the mom that doesn't let her child watch too much TV, and the mom that makes fresh vegetables for dinner instead of canned vegetables. Some nights I just wish I was the mom that had a meal to make...period.
Take tonight for instance. I spent my entire drive home (approximately 45 minutes) thinking about what fabulous meal I was going to whip up. I came up with calling in Chinese and having the hubs pick it up.
I know, I know. Somewhere out there, there is a mom cringing right now. About once a week, and usually by Thursday, I just don't have it in me. I just don't. Kinda the same with my wardrobe. If they would let us wear yoga pants on Thursdays, I would. Chinese/Fast Food are my yoga pants.
So the dilemma is this: WHAT THE HELL AM I GOING TO DO WHEN THE HUBS GOES TO BAHRAIN FOR 6 MONTHS???
No...seriously. I know myself well enough to know that my poor kid will be eating cereal 3 days a week. Sunday dinner better start happening again at mom's; otherwise, we aren't eating home cooked meals. Unless ramen counts as home cooked. It does involve water on a stove (I don't use the microwave.)
I ask this of you my loyal 3 followers...don't leave comments on this post. Leave easy recipes. Better yet, leave a cooked dinner on my doorstep. The Bug and I will appreciate it.

6 comments:

  1. What about cooking up a few things on the weekend and freezing them. If you put the frozen meal in the fridge in the morning it will be pretty thawed in the afternoon. Then all you have to do is pop it in the oven for 20 min to warm up.

    Try making meals that share a lot of the same ingredients, so that you only have to chop those ingredients up one time...then split them between the recipes.

    P.S. I personally love the Weight Watchers cook book http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Watchers-New-Complete-Cookbook/dp/0470170018/ref=dp_ob_title_bk Not only is it low calorie/fat but almost all of the recipes are only 4 servings. That's really good in our house, because Layne doesn't really like left overs more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...Naomi and I were thinking the same thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tater Tot Hotdish
    1 lb hamburger
    1 can corn
    1 lg can cream of chicken soup
    1/2 - 3/4 can of milk
    brown hamburger, drain. mix soup and milk, add hamburger and drained corn. salt & pepper if you'd like. pour into 9x13 pan. arrange tots to cover dish. bake 350 for 30 mins or so. Yummy. Easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies...now in the name of self promotion, forward my blog to your friends ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're an awesome mother (and friend) who is WAY too hard on herself. But, to honor your request for help, here is my mother's recipe for chicken and rice soup:

    Stew 3-5 chicken thighs in 2 qts. of water for approx. 1 hour. Add salt/papper.
    Remove skin/bones from chicken and cut into small pieces.
    Skim fat from broth or cool broth 6-8 hrs & remove fat from surface.
    Bring broth to a boil and add small chopped carrots and celery. Simmer 5-7 minutes.
    Add 1-2 cups instant brown rice, depending on amount of broth. Turn off hear and let sit 30 minutes. Rice will cook in hot broth. You may add water to broth as it simmers. I add 2-3 chicken bouillion cubes to broth with rice.

    Substitute roasted chicken if you prefer.

    ENJOY!

    P.S. I would love to help you on the weekends while Kevin is away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww thanks D! I will definitely need it!

    ReplyDelete