Wednesday, January 12, 2011

One day...


So I gave my writing class an assignment.

They had to roll 7 dice and whatever pictures came up they had to include in their next short story. The words: beetle, sun, magic, castle tower, tee-pee, The letter L, and cane.

I decided that this would be fun and that I wanted to participate too. Normally I don't share my writing with the kids. They know I have a blog, but I would never tell them where they could find it. I told one class that I used blogspot.com and I got "That is where the old people blog."

Like most, my writing is personal, but really, it goes deeper than that. I don't really want to be judged, ESPECIALLY by my students. I mean, would you? Would you want to put your words and thoughts out to people who still judge their peers by what brand of shoe they are wearing?

Regardless, I decided to participate with my wrting class and write a short story. We share tomorrow and you know what? As much as I am scared shitless, I am rejuvenated. I LOVED making myself write something that required characters, conflicts, and creativity. I don't even care if it sucks (for lack of a better word). Over the last 6 years, I have become so involved in teaching other people's words that I forgot my own.

This blog is the closest I have gotten to writing and it took me almost a year to write 8 posts. Re-DUNK-ULOUS!

I know I spent a whole post on bashing those of you with your new year's resolutions, but I think I might have to recant...

I resolve to write more. I resolve to sharing my creativity with the world...or my 6 followers. I resolve to making my childhood dream come true: publishing...something other than just this blog.

(And if I may toot my own horn, my story was pretty darn good for my first time back on the horse. Toot! Toot!...or Neigh!!!...or whatever other cliche I can use here)

4 comments:

  1. found u thru Candice. ;)
    I was asked to be published by a Nursing mag but declined...I didn't like the idea that I could be found on the internet....and sometimes with increased followers from sites such as the Nursing mag...one is recognized...and personally, I don't want that.
    I enjoy writing but only for my own amusement. I have a couple followers....and that's fine by me! But - I love reading good/interesting writers!
    Post your story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cartoon Characters- Thanks for the perspective. The ultimate goal of my blog is to get me to write and to share all of my trials and tribulations with my "friends" all at once. I often get some of the craziest situations as a teacher and I hear "you need to put that in a book." I need to stop worrying about how many people are reading. It is making me feel like I am in high school all over again :)
    Being published as a writer has always been a dream. To see my short story in print would just be amazing, but it is like playing the lottery...first you have to buy the damn ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with AKK, post the story! :)

    ReplyDelete