Saturday, January 1, 2011

Dreaming is not just for kids...


Have you ever read the book The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch? If you haven't I want to be the first to recommend it. It is not a transcript of what you saw on "Oprah" or You Tube, but rather a real insight into his what drove him in his life and final days.
Yes it is one of those feel-good-you-can-do-anything-you-put-your-mind-to books. And for some that may be a turn off, but I promise you, it will change your life, or at least your day if nothing else.
His overall theme is all about childhood dreams. His ranged from winning one of those RIDICULOUSLY large stuffed animals at an amusement park to authoring an article in the World Book Encyclopedia. Both of which he accomplished. Playing for the NFL and being Captain Kirk didn't happen, but he did meet the Shatner: the original Captain Kirk.
So you know what is coming next: my childhood dreams. I mean if we get technical this is what a blog is for, right? An opportunity to be self indulgent and tell my whopping 2 followers (1 being myself) my thoughts, my dreams, my hopes...blah, blah, blah.
Don't laugh.

My Childhood Dreams
  1. Be the mascot for Old Dominion University aka Big Blue
  2. Work at Busch Gardens (an amusement park about 1 hour away) and be the one that says "Welcome to "insert ride name here" please secure all loose articles and prepare for the Ride of Fright.
  3. Be a teacher
  4. Be an actress
  5. Be a singer
  6. Publish something
I think I can say I somewhat accomplished 3 out of 6 so far (if you bend the dream to fit my modern day interpretation).
  1. Even though I didn't realize this dream until I was 17 or so, I knew the day I went to my first ODU game that I wanted to be Big Blue. I later found out that you have to be a certain height and that no matter what I was not going to realize this dream through. I did, however, one day meet the person in charge of Big Blue at a wine festival. I told her how it was my ultimate dream (remember it is a wine festival and I had had a few) to be the mascot. She entertained me by taking my number. I still haven't gotten my phone call yet, but meanwhile I have been seen running around as the mascot of the school I work at. It is not Big Blue, but it has been a whole lotta fun.
  2. I just made my hubby aware of this dream of Busch Gardens and how I was going to make it happen. He rolled his eyes, but I am more determined than ever to make it happen. I haven't figured out the logistics yet, seeing I have a 3 1/2 year old and a hubby going to Bahrain, but I plan on applying. I'm sure the $6 an hour I will make can cover my gas and daycare...right?
  3. Becoming a teacher has been the hardest and easiest dream I have ever had. I can go on and on, but I think my previous post provides all you ever need to know.
  4. When I made this dream I thought I would be an actress in Broadway or an actress that plays a girl on Broadway. (Have you ever seen A Chorus Line the movie? This is where this crazy notion came from.) I didn't have the parents that were the types that said "follow your dreams" or packed up the family so I could audition for the "Mickey Mouse Club." I also had people who reminded me through my adolescents that I was not the type for acting; in other words, I was fat. Needless to say, I never really had the chance to fulfill going to Broadway, but I did act in Fiddler on the Roof, in fact I was the understudy for the third daughter. I was even called to come audition for another play after that, but it never went anywhere.
  5. Karaoke can't really count as being a singer so I need to do something for this dream to be fulfilled? Anyone want to higher me a mediocre singer for their wedding? I do a great rendition of "Torn Between Two Lovers." Oh wait...
  6. This dream is another childhood dream that came to me as an older "kid." The idea of my words being read by someone else excites me to no end. The problem: Facebook and Blogspot are not going to make these dreams happen. I constantly say I have no time to write, but the truth is that I don't make the time. I also have got to get over the idea that someone WILL reject me. My work will not be to someone's liking and that is okay. If my one follower is reading this and knows someone in the business, please feel free to pass my name on.
Oy vey! Nothing like taking inventory of your life to realize what you have still yet to accomplish. It's almost exhausting.
I do like to think I have accomplished some other great things. I always knew I'd be a mom so I am not sure I ever had that as a dream, but to date the Bug is probably my greatest accomplishment. I also got through college and received a degree when the cards were stacked against me.
I guess I should sign off...the novel isn't going to write itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment